Don't Eat Me: The 5 Most Dangerous Fruits in the World

Don't Eat Me: The 5 Most Dangerous Fruits in the World

In distant southern countries, gastronomic dangers often lie in wait for tourists: exotic fruits just ask to be put into the mouth, but sometimes unpleasant contents are hidden under the bright shell. Nausea, headaches and high blood pressure are the most harmless consequences of their use, and some of the tempting fruits are best not even picked up. “Subtleties” made a list of tropical fruits that you should not even try in any case.

1. Keluak

Tall trees grow in the mangrove swamps of Southeast Asia, on which deadly fruits ripen. Fresh fruits and seeds of keluac are rich in hydrocyanic acid, and they can be eaten only after a long and complex processing. First, keluak is thoroughly boiled, then wrapped in banana leaves and buried in ash or earth for 40 days. During fermentation, poisonous cyanide breaks down into relatively harmless substances, and Indonesians use the darkened fruit as a spice.

Drinking fresh keluac causes headaches, shortness of breath and confusion, and in excess it can lead to cardiac arrest.

2. Chilibukha (vomit)

Native to the tropics of Australia and South Asia, the seeds of the chilibukha contain potent poisons such as strychnine and brucine, so even a small handful of “vomit nuts” can cause stomach pain, heart failure and high blood pressure. But chilibukha tincture and extract are drugs that stimulate the central nervous system and improve metabolism, but these drugs are used strictly under the supervision of a doctor. 6 dishes that you can only try in France (for example, snail caviar and the stinkiest cheese).

3. Manchine

The greenish-yellow fruits of the manzinella look like apples, but appearances are deceiving: this plant is considered one of the most poisonous trees on the planet. It grows in Central America and the Caribbean, and the natives lubricated their arrows with its deadly juice, fighting the Spanish conquistadors. Having bitten off such an apple a couple of times, you can get severe edema, leading to death, and the milky juice flowing down the bark burns through clothes, causing burns and blisters. It is also not worth making a fire from manchineel branches: poisonous smoke strongly irritates the respiratory tract and eyes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *